Sunday, August 8, 2010

A hot 5k and new Personal Distance and Recovery Records

Last Wednesday was another hot (87f) and humid day for Maine Running Co.'s Weekly Back Cove 5k. I ran a 26:04. This is less than a minute off the PR I set in June the last time I ran this race in less than 75-85F. I'm still waiting to find out what I could run in less heat. I had barely been running for 2 months by the time I hit my PR of 25:20. We'll see. I need to get more confidence that I can keep up my pace in that 2nd mile. The third is getting better, but its the 2nd that finds me slowing down to conserve. At least I am at the point where I can concentrate on splits and not throwing up or quitting.

Friday Night was my time to attempt a 6 mile run in my training for next month's first 10k. I think I am better suited to this distance as I went nice and slow and averaged 9:17. I had a lot left at the end and that bodes well. I did run the extra .2 miles just to see. My time was 57:35. Felt great. No sign of overuse or injury. The nice thing about being a new runner is that all these things are firsts and new discoveries for me.

Beginning of the month marked 9 months sober for the first time in my life. Before that I could barely squeak by 5 months in 2 years of trying. I am trying to find the words to describe what my life is like now, but I that may take time. Thanks to my friends, my children, meditation, good diet and running, I feel like this time it will stick. Not waiting for the other shoe to drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment